Twitter

Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Salman Rushdie, in an op-ed piece in today's NY Times, criticises "the fair-minded, tolerant Muslim majority" for not speaking out loudly enough against Islamist violence & extremism in Nigeria, Egypt, Iran, the Netherlands:

"A couple of months ago I said that I detested the sloganization of my name by Islamists around the world. I'm beginning to rethink that position. Maybe it's not so bad to be a Rushdie among other 'Rushdies.' For the most part I'm comfortable with, and often even proud of, the company I'm in.

"Where, after all, is the Muslim outrage at these events? As their ancient, deeply civilized culture of love, art and philosophical reflection is hijacked by paranoiacs, racists, liars, male supremacists, tyrants, fanatics and violence junkies, why are they not screaming?...

"Muslims in the West ... seem unnaturally silent on these topics. If you're yelling, we can't hear you."


Well, Aziz Poonawalla, for one, is arguing at the top of his lungs. Read his falsafat series, parts one & two.

No comments: