Twitter

Saturday, November 09, 2002

Metropolis magazine in its November issue has brought together six furniture designers to talk about the future of office design. Browsing through their discussion I found this statement by design consultant Niels Diffrient:

"Sitting is a bad deal from the start. I do have a fantasy work space. My ideal office wouldn't have a chair. You would do two things there: stand up or lie down. These are probably the most natural positions the human body can take. Winston Churchill stayed in bed until late morning working. He did all his dictation from bed. All the writing he did for his immense volumes, he did standing up at a podium against the wall of his room. I did a project back in the eighties called the Jefferson chair, which was a reclining workstation. It reclined as far as possible without lying down and had accessories that brought work into position for you. The prototype still sits in my office, and I use it every day."

People never take me seriously when I tell them I do my best work in bed — it's the ideal work space for me, & I just wish I had some of those "accessories that bring work into position" to help me out.

No comments: