Twitter

Tuesday, November 26, 2002

"As a free citizen I want to be able to read and evaluate as wide as possible a range of opinions on any given subject so that I have the greatest amount of information possible on which to make up my own mind. Since I cannot read what no one has written, then my freedom of access depends on others having the freedom to write what they think. And since access on the Internet is based on linking (that is, after all, why it became known as 'the web', because everything is directly or indirectly hooked together) then when people begin to actively attack the process of linking on ideological grounds the whole thing could fall apart, and the greatest weapon ever forged for spreading liberal democracy to the world could self-destruct through internecine warfare."

Steven Den Beste, in an extended post on the role of permalinks in guarding freedom of expression on the Web.

No comments: